Our diet of online media now comprises pre-defined recommendations and playlists on popular streaming services platforms, such as YouTube, Netflix, Spotify, etc. If you are among those who don’t like to get stuck in the same fold of viral content and want full control over what you listen to or watch, Kodi should be your go-to choice. The platform was earlier known as XMBC or Xbox Media. If you don’t know what Kodi is, it is one of the most prominent, free, and open-source software media control servers for users who like to explore more.
Kodi offers numerous features to its users, and it might be overwhelming for those who just started using it. But don’t worry, it might take some time, and once you get used to its features and content it offers to you, you will not turn back. If you are a new user of Kodi, this post is for you. We are going to create a list of best Kodi tips, which you will find really helpful and gives you an edge over other newbies. So, let’s get started!
1- Create Multiple Kodi User Accounts
If you and your family members using Kodi, it is a great idea to create separate profiles for each user. These Kodi user accounts require a user ID and password so that you can protect your content and favorites from others. Creating a new account on Kodi is a straightforward process and doesn’t require much time. If you want to create one, here is a set of easy steps that you can follow;
- Click on the gear option located above the Menu to get access to the System page.
- Now click on the Profile Settings option and then click on the Add Profile option.
- Use a password, which should be easy to remember but hard to guess. (You should use alphanumeric, or gamepad key combination to set your password).
2- Kodi Keyboard Shortcuts
Kodi offers a whole lot of keyboard shortcuts that you can use to perform certain actions instantly. Below are some of them that you can use;
- Switch between full-screen and windowed mode using the key “\.”
- Play videos using the key “P.”
- If you are playing and video and want to fast forward, press the “F” key.
- If you want to capture a screenshot, press the keys “Ctrl-S.”
- If you want to see information about a currently selected media file, press the “I.” key.
- If you want to change the view of a media browser, press the “M.” key to show/hide media playback options.
- Regardless of where you are on Kodi, when you press the “H” key, it will take you to the live TV window.
- If you are watching a video on Kodi and want to keep it playing in the background, you can press the “TAB” key.
- If you are playing a video or audio file and want to mute it, just press the “M” key.
- If you want to stop playing a particular video file, just press the “X” key.
- If you are watching a movie or video and like to see a scene again and again, just press the “R” key to rewind it back.
- If you want to turn on or off the subtitles of a movie or video, just press the “T” key.
3- Add Kodi Content and Add-ons to Favorites
The favorites menu is a great way to add your favorite media content and add-ons. You might have your favorite content in your extensive library, and when you are on the go, you don’t have time to search that particular content. This is where the favorites menu comes in. If you want to add your favorites add-ons in Kodi, below is how you can do that;
- Click on the Kodi Settings menu by clicking on the gear icon.
- Now, click on the Interface Settings option.
- Now go to Skin option and click on the Configure Skin option.
- Now, go to the main menu items and scroll down to find the Favorites option.
- Click on the box to check it so it should change to white from grey.
- Now your Favorite Menu should appear on the home screen.
- Once your hover your cursor on the content that you want to add as Favorite, right-click.
- Now, click on Add as Favorite option.
- Now, turn back to the home screen, and you will see your favorite content has been added to your favorite list.
4- Customize Kodi Home Screen
When you first launch the Kodi, its default home screen looks pretty simple, containing only a few options, such as Programs, Video, Music, etc. But it allows you to customize your Kodi home screen as you want. Below is how you can do that;
- Go o the Settings menu by clicking on the gear icon.
- Now, click on the Skin Settings option.
- Now, you can enable/disable weather, info, animations, toggle between laptop and touch modes, under the General tab.
- Then go to the Main menu items option to add or change information that you want to see on your Kodi home screen, such as albums, videos, weather. Etc.
5- Change Language and Region
Kodi comes with default language and region settings. The default region of Kodi is the United States, and the default language it uses is English. If you are using Kodi in another region and English isn’t your native language, it allows you to change them as per your preferences. The process is pretty simple, and you can do this by following a set of easy steps below;
- Go to the System option.
- Select the Settings option.
- Now, click on the International and then click on the Language option.
- You will see its default language is English. Select the language that you prefer from the dropdown list. It will instantly change your Kodi interface to the language that you have selected.
Based on the language that you have selected, the region will automatically change as well. Another important thing is that not all the listed languages in Kodi work properly. You might encounter trouble finding languages that aren’t that popular.
6- Change Kodi Skin
Kodi offers incredibly customizable features, which makes it popular among users. One of those incredible customizable features is changing Kodi skin to transform its appearance by applying multiple skins entirely. Kodi comes with default skin” Estuary,” and if you don’t like that skin, you are allowed to download a range of other Kodi skins. Downloading Kodi skins process is pretty straightforward, and you can do it easily following below set of steps;
- Go to the Settings option by clicking on the gear icon.
- Click on the Interface Settings option.
- Now, click on the Skin option.
- Click on the Get More option to download Kodi skins.
You can find Kodi skins that are similar to Netflix, Apple TV, and more. Depending on the Kodi skin you are using, you can also customize its fonts, colors, sounds, startup window, and more.
7- Put Kodi Display to Sleep After a Certain Time
Another incredible customization options that Kodi offers is that you can put its display to idle after a certain time when unused to save power. The procedure is simple and here is a set of steps that you need to follow;
- Go to the System option.
- Click on the System Settings option.
- Now, click on the Power Saving option.
- Now, enable the Put Display to Sleep when Idle option.
- Now, select a time duration, after which the Kodi display will go to sleep mode.
People who use Kodi at night or who use it for a prolonged time in a day and suddenly fall asleep without shutting it down can use this feature to save power.
8- Kodi Remote Access
If you are a user of Kodi platform and want to access it from another location using your Android device, it allows you to access it remotely. For this purpose, you can use an Android device an install a remote access Kodi app and configure. The configuration process of remote Kodi access is straightforward. Below is a set of simple steps that you need to follow;
- Go to the System menu.
- Click on the Service Settings option.
- Click on the Control option.
- Now, enable the option saying Allow remote control via HTTP.
- Also, enable the option of Allow remote control by programs on other systems.
This process is appropriate for the official remote app of Kodi known as Kore. You can also use other remote Kodi app to access it remotely, such as Yaste.
Kodi is a well-known platform where not only can you play viral content but also your favorite content with ease. If you are new to Kodi, above are some best tips for Kodi that will help you to operate it efficiently. Your queries are welcome, and you can write us a comment below.
Q: Can I play songs on Kodi?
Ans: Yes, you can listen to your favorite music and add your favorite content to your favorites list using its Favorites feature.